NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
By entering into this Sweepstakes, I accept the terms and conditions and set forth in these Official Rules. I confirm I am at least 18 years old and have reached the age of majority in my jurisdiction of residence at the time of opt-in (19 in Alabama and Nebraska; 21 in Mississippi). By entering the sweepstakes, I agree to sign up to receive email newsletters and special offers from Roads & Kingdoms, Explore Parts Unknown, Condé Nast Traveler, Culinary Backstreets, TUMI and Williams Sonoma. Some of the Associated Companies have provided prizes to the Sweepstakes but only Roads & Kingdoms LLC (the “Sponsor”) is sponsoring the sweepstakes and responsible for operating the Sweepstakes. No Purchase Necessary. A Purchase Will Not Increase Your Chances of Winning. The Sweepstakes is subject to federal, state, municipal, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited. (New Jersey Notice: This Sweepstakes is not void in New Jersey).
1. Eligibility: The Roads and Kingdoms Tokyo Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes”) is open to legal residents of the forty-eight (48) contiguous United States and the District of Columbia (which excludes AK, HI, and PR), who are 18 years of age or older as of time of entry. Employees, officers, and directors of Roads & Kingdoms, Explore Parts Unknown, Culinary Backstreets, Condé Nast Traveler, TUMI, Williams Sonoma and any of their respective parents, subsidiaries, divisions, affiliated companies, dealers, sales representatives, licensees, service agencies, independent contractors, advertising and promotion agencies, web hosting and service and fulfillment providers (all of the foregoing, collectively, “Sweepstakes Entities”), and their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses) and those living in the same household of each (whether legally related or not), are ineligible to enter or win the Sweepstakes. Participation constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and to Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Sweepstakes. Winning the prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein. Sponsor reserves the right to verify the eligibility of the Grand Prize winner.
2. Sponsor: The Sponsor is Roads and Kingdoms LLC, a Delaware Corporation, located at 68 Jay Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201.
3. How to Enter: There is NO PURCHASE NECESSARY to participate. A purchase does not increase your chances of winning. There is only one way to enter the Sweepstakes. To enter, visit this page and complete all required fields of the onscreen registration form to receive one (1) entry into the Sweepstakes random drawing. Entries must be received 11:59 p.m. ET on 08/18/2018 to be included in the random drawing.
By entering, you agree to receive emails and join the email newsletter lists of Roads & Kingdoms, Explore Parts Unknown, Culinary Backstreets LLC, Condé Nast Traveler, TUMI and Williams Sonoma. No information regarding entries, other than as otherwise set forth in these Official Rules, will be disclosed. Limit one (1) entry per person/email address per method of entry. Any attempt by any entrant to obtain more than the stated number of entries by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, registrations and logins, or any other methods will void such entries and that entrant may be disqualified. Use of any automated or computer system to participate is prohibited and will result in disqualification. Normal Internet access and usage charges imposed by your online service may apply. If entering via mobile device, normal phone/data and usage charges imposed by your phone service may apply. Standard data rates may apply if entering via mobile device.
Incomplete, corrupted, or untimely entries are void and will be disqualified. Sponsor and its agencies are not responsible for late, incomplete, or misdirected entries; lost, interrupted, or unavailable network, server, or other connections; or miscommunications, computer or software malfunctions, telephone transmission problems, technical failures, garbled transmissions, damage to a user’s computer equipment (software or hardware), or other errors or malfunctions of any kind, whether human, mechanical, electronic or otherwise. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of an entrant, the authorized account holder of the email address used to enter will be deemed to be the entrant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, Internet service provider, or other organization (which may include an employer) responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Potential Grand Prize Winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder. Entries specifying an invalid, non-working, or inactive email address will be disqualified and ineligible to win.
4. Selection of Grand Prize Winner and Winner Notification: One (1) Grand Prize Winner (“Grand Prize Winner”) will be selected in a random drawing to be held on or about 08/20/2018. The potential Grand Prize Winner will be selected from all eligible entries received (as stated above) during the Sweepstakes Period. Odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received during the Sweepstakes Period. The potential Grand Prize Winner will be notified via e-mail to the e-mail address provided on the Sweepstakes entry form. Potential Grand Prize Winner must respond to the email within 48 hours of notification attempt or prize will be forfeited and an alternate Grand Prize Winner will be selected and notified. Once the potential winner has responded, Sponsor will send, via email, an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release which must be executed and returned within 7 days. The drawing will be conducted by Sponsor, whose decisions on all matters relating to the Sweepstakes shall be final and binding. At the sole discretion of the Sponsor, disqualification, forfeiture and the selection of an alternate Grand Prize Winner may result from any of the following: (1) a potential Grand Prize Winner’s failure to respond to any email notification by the deadline stated within the notification; (2) the return of an email notification as undeliverable after three (3) attempts; (3) potential Grand Prize Winner’s failure to provide Sponsor with satisfactory proof of age, identity and residency; (4) potential Grand Prize Winner’s failure to confirm address and validly claim the prize by the deadline stated within the notification; (5) the potential Grand Prize Winner’s failure to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability/Publicity Release by the deadline stated within the notification; and (6) any other non-compliance with the Official Rules. In the event of prize forfeiture, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, award or not award the forfeited prize to an alternate Grand Prize Winner. Prize will be awarded, provided that it is validly claimed by 9/15/2018 after which no alternate Grand Prize Winner will be selected, nor will an unclaimed prize be awarded. Potential Grand Prize Winner is subject to verification by Sponsor, whose decisions are final and binding in all matters related to the Sweepstakes. An entrant is not the Grand Prize Winner of the prize unless and until entrant’s eligibility has been verified and entrant has been notified that verification is complete.
5. Grand Prize and Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”): A three (3) night stay at a 5-star hotel in Tokyo for winner and (1) to be scheduled by winner, funds towards travel from the United States to Japan, a culinary tour of Tokyo by Culinary Backstreets to be scheduled by winner, a set of knives, a hardcover copy of Roads & Kingdoms’ book Rice Noodle Fish and a Knife Skills zine.
Prize Restrictions: Prize cannot be substituted, assigned, transferred, or redeemed for cash; however, Sponsor reserves the right to make equivalent prize substitution at its sole discretion if any advertised prize (or portion of prize) becomes unavailable. Grand Prize Winner is responsible for any loss of prize or portion of prize after it has been delivered. Sponsor will not replace any lost, stolen, or unused prize, or any portion thereof. Any and all applicable federal, state, and local taxes and all fees and expenses related to acceptance and use of prize not specifically stated herein are the sole responsibility of the Grand Prize Winner.
All fees and expenses (such as security fees, gratuities, luggage fees, meals and ground transportation, and incidental charges) related to acceptance and uses of the travel prize not specifically stated herein are the sole responsibility of the Grand Prize Winner. Certain restrictions may apply. Major credit card required at check-ins to cover any incidental charges. Guest must be 18 years of age or older and a legal resident of the forty-eight (48) contiguous United States or the District of Columbia at time of travel. Grand Prize Winner and guest must possess valid travel documents (i.e., a valid government-issued photo ID, U.S. passport, visa, etc.). Grand Prize winner and guest are responsible for obtaining travel insurance (and all other forms of insurance) at their option and hereby acknowledge that Sponsor has not and will not obtain or provide travel insurance or any other form of insurance.
In the event the Grand Prize Winner and/or guest engages in behavior during travel that (as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion) is obnoxious or threatening, illegal, or that is intended to threaten or harass any other person, or that in any way disparages or adversely affects the reputation, image, and/or customer goodwill of Sponsor or any of Sponsor’s services, products, trademarks, service marks, or logos, Sponsor reserves the right to terminate the travel early, and send the Grand Prize Winner and/or guest home with no further obligations or compensation whatsoever to Grand Prize Winner and/or guest (which may, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, result in that Grand Prize Winner’s disqualification from the Sweepstakes and forfeiture of any (and/or all) prize(s). In the event Grand Prize Winner or guest engages in behavior during travel that (as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion) is illegal, tortious, or subjects the Grand Prize Winner or guest to arrest or detention, Sponsor shall have no obligation to pay any damages, fees, fines, judgments or other costs or expenses of any kind whatsoever incurred by Grand Prize Winner or guest as a result of such conduct. SPONSOR SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY FOR ANY PERSONAL INJURIES, DEATH, PROPERTY DAMAGE, OR OTHER DAMAGES OR EXPENSES RESULTING FROM OR ARISING OUT OF ANY TRAVEL RELATED TO THE PRIZE OR ANY OTHER ASPECT OF THE GRAND PRIZE WINNER’S OR GUEST’S ACCEPTANCE OR USE OF THE PRIZE. Grand Prize Winner and guest shall be subject to additional terms and conditions, as well as a binding arbitration agreement, to be provided by Sponsor prior to travel. Acknowledgement and acceptance by Grand Prize Winner and guest of these forthcoming terms and conditions and binding arbitration agreement are a condition of acceptance of the prize (or portion of prize).
6. General Conditions: By entering or participating in the Sweepstakes, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules, and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects. Sweepstakes Entities are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information or technical failures of any kind, (2) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Sweepstakes; or (3) any other computer, network, technical, human or other error, problem or malfunction that may occur in connection with the administration of the Sweepstakes, the processing of entries, or the selection or notification of Grand Prize winner. Further, if, for any reason, the Sweepstakes is not capable of running as planned for reasons outside the control of the Sponsor which, in the sole opinion of Sponsor, may corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes (or portion thereof), Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes (or portion thereof) and in the event of cancellation, the prize will be awarded in a random drawing from among all eligible entries received prior to cancellation. Sponsor also reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify the entry of any individual found to be (a) tampering or attempting to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or any website operated by the Sweepstakes Entities; (b) using any robotic, macro, automatic, programmed or like entry methods, which will void all such entries; (c) violating these Official Rules or the terms of service, conditions of use, and/or general rules of any Sponsor property or service; or (d) acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any other person. Sweepstakes Entities are not responsible for claims, injuries, losses or damages of any kind resulting, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the awarding, delivery, acceptance, use, misuse, possession, loss or misdirection of the prize; participation in this Sweepstakes or in any activity or travel related thereto or from any interaction with, or downloading of, computer Sweepstakes information.
7. Release and Limitations of Liability: By entering, each entrant agrees to defend, indemnify, release and hold harmless Sweepstakes Entities from and against any and all losses, demands, damages, rights, claims, actions and liabilities of any kind arising out of or related to (i) entrant’s participation in the Sweepstakes or (ii) entrant’s participation in any prize-related activities (including, without limitation, any property loss, damage, personal injury or death caused to any person(s). The Grand Prize Winner and guest assume all liability for any injury, death, or damage caused, or allegedly caused, by participating in this Sweepstakes or use or redemption of the prize. Any disputes that may arise hereunder shall be governed in all respects by the laws of the State of New York without regard to the conflicts of laws principles of any jurisdiction. Venue with respect to any such disputes shall be had in the state and federal courts of the State of New York. All taxes are the responsibility of the Grand Prize Winner, who will receive an IRS Form 1099 reflecting the final actual value of the prize.
Entrants, by participating [and guest by accompanying Grand Prize Winner], agree that the Sweepstakes Entities, and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents will have no liability whatsoever for, and shall be held harmless by entrants against, any liability, for any injuries, losses or damages of any kind, including death, to persons, or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of a prize or participation in this Sweepstakes.
9. Publicity. As a condition of entry into the Sweepstakes, except where prohibited by law, each entrant and the potential Grand Prize Winner by accepting the prize grants to the Sweepstakes Entities, a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free license and right, to publicize, broadcast, display and/or otherwise use the Sweepstakes entrant’s name, city, state, biographical material and Instagram handle in any media now known or hereafter devised throughout the world in perpetuity for advertising and publicity purposes, without additional review, compensation, permission or approval of Grand Prize Winner.
10. Disputes: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Sweepstakes or prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the District of New York or the appropriate State Court located in New York; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Sweepstakes, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Sweepstakes, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of New York, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of New York or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of New York.
11. Official Rules and Winner List: To obtain a copy of these Official Rules or for Grand Prize Winner list requests, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: “Roads and Kingdoms Tokyo Sweepstakes”, c/o Roads & Kingdoms, 68 Jay Street, Suite 422, Brooklyn, NY 11201. Requests for Grand Prize Winner lists must be received no later than three months after the end of the Sweepstakes Period.